Whatever your skill level, you are invited to come spend a relaxing yet intensive weekend of woodturning in my woodland studio in rural Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Learn to turn bowls and hollow vessels in a friendly atmosphere, on professional equipment, with plenty of individual attention and hands-on guidance directly from me. Join the many hundreds of students who have advanced their turning skills through my program over the past twenty-three years. You'll be glad you did!Email for available Dates & Lodging.
• Reading bowl forms within the log
• Mounting the blank with various chucking systems
• Tool techniques for making open bowls and hollow forms
• Optimal body positions for turning
• How to use traditional and non-traditional woodturning tools for maximum efficiency and control.
• Tool handle ergonomics
• Tool design and sharpening
• Discussions on object design
• Jam and vacuum chucks and reverse chucking techniques
• Sanding with foam-backed abrasives
• Finishing strategies and techniques
• Drying green wood without cracking
The school is located at my private home and studio workshop situated on 20 acres of wooded property near Quakertown, Pennsylvania. Most students are at the beginner-to-intermediate level, but turners of all skill levels are welcome, as we work together to reinforce and expand our skills during this comprehensive, three-day learning experience.
Good food is the fuel that we need to do our best work. In that spirit, three healthy and hearty, home-cooked meals per day are included in the workshop registration fee.
Tuition: $700.00 - Price includes three full days of hands-on, comprehensive instruction, plus three home-cooked meals daily.
Lab Fee: $100.00
Class Limit: 5 students
Course Schedule: Three-days (Friday, Saturday & Sunday), beginning with breakfast at 8am and continuing until 5pm when we stop for dinner.
Lodging: Motor hotels are located directly off I-476, the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike at the Quakertown exit, #32 (8 miles). Old Bethlehem Road Hotel & English Pub on Old Bethlehem Road (one mile). The Bucksville House B&B is on Rt 412 (7 miles), and the Red Barn Campground (full hook-ups and a swimming pool) is only one mile away. Click here for map.
(In order of convenience to Quakertown, PA)
• Lehigh Valley International Airport (Allentown, PA) - 1/2 hr. drive
• Philadelphia Airport - 1 1/4 hrs. drive
• Newark Airport - 1 3/4 hrs. drive
• Philadelphia - 1 1/4 hrs.
• New York City - 2 hrs.
• Washington, D.C. - 3 1/2 hrs.
• Boston - 6 hrs.
• Chicago - 12 hrs.
Students will use eastern hardwoods cut directly from my forest. Materials are included in the tuition fee.
• Robust lathes (5). Authorized dealer for the "American Beauty", "Sweet 16" and "Liberty" models.
• Jet Mini-Lathe (10" dia. capacity)
• Jim Thompson lathe (custom built) (30" dia. capacity)
Turning Tools: Ellsworth "Signature" gouges by Crown tool, the Ellsworth Sharpening Jig and the Ellsworth Tools for hollow turning will be available for use and/or purchase. When possible, students are encouraged to bring their own turning tools which will be checked for tip shape, balance and workability.